Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Transparent

When we got the assignment for transparent, I immediately thought of glass. On my walk home that day I happened to find a string of Christmas lights on the ground and decided to snag a few of the bulbs. This is the piece that I then created using those bulbs. I think it looks like some sort of shrine or something. I used super glue, tape, balsa wood, paper, cardboard and guache. It was a lot of fun to make.
 
 
My next piece was using a bottle. I wrote out the word "Perception" on a paper and then burned the edges of it to make it look old and pirate-like. Perception is supposed to indicate that the idea of treasure is all in the eyes of the beholder. I then put the paper in the bottle like a message in a bottle. Lastly I painted the rim of the bottle as if a gold liquid was dripping out of it.
 

 
 
This third piece is a casette tape case that I put a photograph of a painting that I did in high school into. It is of  monochromatic yellow man with a purple checker background. I then painted a monochromatic yellow woman on the surface of the case looking the opposite direction as the man. It almost appears as though they could be looking at eachother.
 
This next piece I made is a flip book-ish type thing. I traced line drawings of women and placed each drawing in its own baggie. I then placed a piece of colorful striped paper between each girl and bound them all together and covered the top with orange construction paper. The idea is to flip through the pictures and be able to move around the images and stripes.


 
 This next piece is a wind chime made from shards of glass taped to thread with a transparent button at the top.
 
My next piece I painted on a piece of glass. I painted it to look like feathers. You can put it in the window and have the light shine through to make the colors extra vibrant. Pretty fun. I then covered the edges in white tape so that no one will cut themself. Safety is important.
 
 Like the last one this one was painted on glass as well. This one I decided to paint verticle lines in different shades of blue, some gray, and black. I left the space in between the lines blank so you can see through the glass. I then wrapped the edges of this piece in black tape.
 
Throwing the safety aspect out the window for this piece I broke my piece of glass. I then took the shards and spaced them out to recreate the rectangle. Then I taped the pieces in place. I then painted this aquatic scene on tracing paper and mounted it to the back of the glass shards. The light illuminates the image quite nicely.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment