Thursday, September 6, 2012

Water

The water assignment was the first one that I started to feel comfortable on. I had some pieces that I spent a lot of time on and I am proud of what I came up with.

 
My first Idea was to create a wave out of paper. I dipped pieces of paper in water in order to make them plyable and then shaped them into waves and fastened them onto a piece of cardboard using tape. I then used thread to suspend the whole piece from the ceiling which allowed it to spin and show movement like a real wave.

 
My second piece was a wave drawn out with markers, and then made into a box and another wave was drawn on the back side using different colors. On the sides of the box was written "What if it's thicker than water?" which is a quote from a song featured in my favorite surf film. I then took the box and placed it in a plastic bag and filled the bag with water. It was intended to be able to be squeezed so you could feel the water inside.
 
This is the song that the quote is taken from:
 
 
Similar to the last piece, I wanted to create another piece that was visible in water. I drew a wave on paper and placed it in a baggie. Fun stuff.
 
Nex I had the idea to use water as a medium to splash paint on a big sheet of paper. After the paint dried I cut the large paper into four pieces and wrote a word to describe water on each piece.
My first word was Fresh.

Next was Clean.

Followed by Pure.

And lastly Survival.
 
 My last and favorite piece was and island with a waterfall. To make this I used a base of balsa wood and taped a folded note card on top and then used Gel Medium Modeling Paste, tape, paper, glue and balsa wood to build up the island. After that I painted the whole surface to look like a real island. The final performance was water being poured into the top pool and having it overflow down to the bottom pool creating the waterfall.

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment