Sunday, May 13, 2012

Poetic Metamorphosis

We had to read The Metamorphosis by Kafka and create a bed, a chest of drawers and a bug out of paper not using any tape or glue. Here is what I created:

I wanted to make the bed old fashioned looking, something like what I envision would come from the time period of the early 1900's. I used somewhat dreary colors which fit the way I interpreted the mood of the story. 




For the chest of drawers I made something similar to what sits next to my bed at home. In the story his alarm clock sits on the chest by his bed, just like mine, so this is what came to mind. I made it look like it is made of wood and not painted.      

The bug I made similar to a cockroach which is how I pictured him in the story. It talked about him trying to figure out how to use his many thin legs and not being able to roll on his side because of his awkward shape. I put a skull like head on top of his body to show that he is not entirely a bug but still retains some of his human form and it gives it a creepy undertone which I felt existed in the story.

Here is a photo of some of the unfinished pieces of my creation during the process:


Sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite!
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment