Saturday, May 12, 2012

Expressive 3D Forms

For this first assignment we had to create four different sculptures out of balsa wood, glue, and tape. Each sculpture had to convey a word chosen from a given list. This is some of the process:


Here are my creations:

Hopeful

To convey hope I created a tree. There is something about trees that I can find hope in. Like they are reaching to the sky for wisdom and peace. The trunk of my tree is formed by four triangles meeting in the center to create a type of pyramid base which the branches sprout from representing growth and hope in life.

Dangerous


To create a sense of danger I wanted to make some sort of cliff to nowhere, a precarious height. To do this I made a stand forming a rectangular frame with clear tape connecting the two sides. Then I created one half of the cliff on each side and made it so the two sides do not meet in the middle leaving the form hanging. I feel as thought being suspended by clear tape and the sharp edges not meeting instills a sense of danger in the beholder.

Angry


For angry I made a box with five of the six sides left open. And in the center I placed a form resembling the upper body of a human. I was attempting to create an idea of entrapment. As if the man were trapped in the the box. As much as he swings his stumpy little arms, he cannot escape his wooden cage.

Sad



My sadness is dripping. It seeps through the cracks between my fingers. I carry it with me. It is like a ball of ice cream in my hand on a hot summer day. Yes it's melting but it just won't go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment