Monday, June 11, 2012

Masked Identity

The assignment here was to create a mask using wire, tracing paper and gel medium that expresses who we are in some way or another. The end product would be a video or series of pictures of us wearing the mask we created. The mask was not supposed to have eye holes or a face necessarily. I really enjoyed making the mask. It came very naturally building with the wire and I liked watching it take shape.

I made my mask to be symmetrical, smooth, and streamline. I wanted it to seem well balanced and yet kind of awkward. I feel like that could describe me a lot of the time.

Here is the video that I made for the piece:


The video I decided to make at my new house that I just moved into and had not had time or money to buy furniture for it or anything really so it is completely empty except for my bedroom. I wanted to use the Creature from the Black Lagoon in it some way because a friend of mine got me really into the Creature and I feel like he can relate to the masked identity concept.

It wasn't until after I began editing the video that I realized I had made it surprising similar to a video we had watched in Art History III the week prior. The film is by Maya Deren from 1943 and titled Meshes of the Afternoon. Here is a link to that video:
 
 
Here are the pictures to go along with the video I created:




No comments:

Post a Comment