Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Final Project Research

From the beginning of the process of making my final project I knew that I wanted to focus on primary colors in their simplest form. Red, yellow and blue have just resonated with me as of late. When thinking of simple use of primary colors, Piet Mondrian's 1923 painting Composition A immediately comes to mind.  
 
 
I have always debated whether or not I actually like this painting. I mean it is so basic that it makes you wonder if it is even actually "art." It did not require a great deal of skill or technique. Yet still it is an image that sticks with me, and that alone intrigues me. Mondrian created such a simple image that it has found highly influential and recognizable place in art and society.
 
I knew that I aslo wanted to incorporate my fabric pieces and the "paper cave" piece that I had done earlier in the class. These 3D materials finding their place on the gallery wall made me think of the work of Robert Rauschenberg. Two pieces he did that I always find myself coming back to are Bed and Monogram. In these works he incorporates the 3D in an interesting way. One has a "bed" attached vertically to the wall and paint splattered on it and the other a painting laid flat on the ground with a taxidermy goat standing on it and once again painted on. Looking into more Rauschenberg artwork I found his piece Minutiae. This is the piece pictured below with different colored fabric swatches. I really love how he took something so simple and made it somehow intriguing.
 
 
My last piece I wanted to incorporate in my final was my "waterfall" I had made. I had the idea of suspending it by wire and this seemed some how whimsical. I searched the web and found these wonderful digital pieces by Alexander Jansson. The one below shows a little bit of what I was going for. Something similar to it at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment