Friday, November 30, 2012

Conversation

It seems to be a common theme in my blog to start out by saying it took me a while to get ideas going for each project. So for the Conversation piece, I am going to do just that! I had a very hard time deciding what to do for this one. My interview ended up being very strange. My character I created was a pirate named Iron Roger, but in the interview I was asked questions like how much wood could a woodchuck chuck or something about pancakes in the Russian summer sun. So I was left unsure of where to go from there.
 
 
Initially I was going to make a book based on the super random journey of Iron Roger and his crew.

 
It would be illustrated and on weathered and burned paper of course. Using tidbits from the interview worked into a somewhat intelligible story.


 
There was something about whale blubber in the interview so I thought this would be fitting. However, I couldn't figure out how to finish the story and and I didn't want it to seem incomplete or rushed, so I got burned out on this idea.

 
After that I cut out the entire interview into half inch strips and glued the strips together on end creating a really long rope of interview paper. I rolled it up and burned some more edges and then decided it would be a good idea to put the roll into home made ocean (water, salt and sand in a cup). Not sure where I was going with this I took a few pictures.


 
When I pulled out the roll, the salt water had unstuck some of the glue and I was left with a strange mess. It kind of resembled seaweed which I thought was somewhat fitting I guess. I then created a package with weathered paper and labeled it "Square of Turtle's Tail" which was taken from the interview. I fastened it with burned tape and that  was what I initially turned in.

It was not received well.
 
So then I decided to pull apart each piece of interview paper strip and glue them onto a piece of cardboard coating the surface in a weathered lined surface with random words. I decided to draw Iron Roger on this surface and wanted to make it random like the interview, so I didn't want him to be an ordinary pirate. That is why he has on octopus face, one dinosaur head, and a regular man's face all at once. He also has a zombie hand. I filled in the drawing with gouache. Last I added a couple images from my initial book idea sketches, the ship leaving Africa in the top right and the man harpooning the whale at the bottom.

 
And that is that.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment